Become a Leader in Affordable Housing
Apply Now to Virginia Housing's Two-Year Fellows Program
We’re looking for the next generation of leaders in the Affordable Housing industry! If helping your fellow Virginians attain quality, affordable housing is your passion, we invite you to apply for acceptance in the Virginia Housing Fellows Program.
What is the Fellows Program?The Fellows Program is not an internship, but rather a full-time, salaried role at Virginia Housing. If accepted, you’ll spend the next two years working alongside creative problem solvers and innovators at one of the nation’s most successful state housing authorities. You’ll gain hands-on experience working on real projects, and developing industry knowledge, leadership and analytical skills.
Who Should Apply?
We’re looking for emerging leaders: people who are innovative, visionary, analytical, lifelong learners — and excited about our affordable housing mission. They may have a wide range of skills, education and backgrounds, but all will share our deep commitment to supporting affordable housing. Virginia Housing is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Further, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
How Will This Help Your Career?
As a Fellow, you’ll work in a collaborative environment with experienced Virginia Housing associates and business partners, with opportunities to learn and grow in different aspects of the industry.
- Year One – You’ll work with an Associate Chief, divisional leadership, advisory councils and business partners as you learn about policy and project work, and the internal workings of Virginia Housing.
- Year Two – You’ll work with external business partners on capacity building and research assignments, gaining exposure to more industry professionals and organizations, enhancing your network and skills.
- At the end of your two-year fellowship, you’ll receive job placement assistance with Virginia Housing’s affordable housing industry partners.
How to Apply
Here’s what to expect after you submit your application:
- 1. You’ll receive a confirmation email once your application has been submitted.
- 2. Our recruitment team reviews all applications and will contact qualified candidates.
- 3. Selected candidates will meet with Virginia Housing associates for a series of interviews.
- 4. Our recruitment team will keep you posted throughout the process.
The Virginia Housing Fellows Program is limited to four positions, so we urge you to apply as soon as possible. We accept applications until positions are filled, or until the application deadline of March 31, 2023. The successful Fellows will commence employment June 5, 2023.
- Applicants must have the ability to legally work in the U.S. for an indefinite period of time.
- A resume is required for consideration.
- Applicants must submit an essay along with their application on one of these topics: “What affordable housing means to you” or “How you believe affordable housing impacts communities”. The essay should be 2 pages, double spaced using 12 point Arial font.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community Planning & Development, Policy, Legal, Business Administration, Communication, or a similar area of study or equivalent work experience in a business environment.
- Preferred software skills include Microsoft Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and web-based video conferencing (Zoom, WebEx, Microsoft Teams, etc.).
Mission and Vision StatementsThe Virginia Housing Fellows Mission Statement
The Virginia Housing Fellows Program fosters the environment to prepare our Fellows to be leaders in affordable housing by providing resources, knowledge, skills, and experience.The Virginia Housing Fellows Vision Statement
The Virginia Housing Fellows Program serves as the management and leadership succession planning pipeline for Virginia's affordable housing industry by leveraging and elevating the talents of future leaders committed to helping Virginians attain quality affordable housing.